7 Point Highlander
This Month's Article
“If your deck contains no cards on the Reserved List, you are entitled to an additional Point.”
Lurrus of the Dream-Den*
*Pointed as a companion
Dig Through Time
Lutri, the Spellchaser*
Minsc & Boo, Timeless Heroes
Oko, Thief of Crowns
Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer
Uro, Titan of Nature’s Wrath
Wrenn and Six
Cave of Chaos Adventurer
Comet, Stellar Pup
Force of Will
Library of Alexandria
Oath of Druids
Sensei’s Divining Top
The One Ring
White Plume Adventurer
What is 7 point Highlander?
7 Point Highlander (also sometimes known as Australian Highlander) is a way to play the collectible card game, Magic: The Gathering. It has been played across Australia and New Zealand for over 25 years (since 1996) and is growing in popularity around the world, with players in Asia, Europe, and North and South America.
The 7 Point Highlander format is a constructed format that allows players to play with a modified 60 card singleton deck with 15 card sideboard that utilises the Vintage format’s card pool and ban list.
What differentiates this format from most Magic: The Gathering formats is the points list. Each player is allowed 7 points worth of powerful cards. So you could spend 5 points on Ancestral Recall, and 2 points on Treasure Cruise, but then you miss out on cards like Demonic Tutor, or Mind Twist, or various other cards that also cost some of your seven points.
Changes to the points list are made by the Points Committee to promote the health of the format. Announcement of changes, if any, take place on the release of each new standard legal set.
The rules for competitive play of 7 Point Highlander are:
- Minimum of 60 cards in the main deck
- Maximum of 15 cards in the sideboard
- Singleton – players are allowed to use only one of each card (with the exception of basic lands)
- Vintage banned list applies (see here)
- 7 points system – a maximum of 7 points worth of cards are allowed per deck (see here for the points list)
- Highlander points are set at deck registration. You must indicate any pointed companions you intend to declare on your deck list.